View Single Post

Old 08-12-2020, 10:53 PM
US Veteran

Liked 785 Times in 181 Posts

This is President Johnson giving General Westmoreland some sort of metal. All the upper brass was there, important people, even the President of South Viet Nam

Several of us were chosen from our unit (101st) to go somewhere in the next few days. We were told to be clean, wear our best jungle fatigues and clean our weapons and web gear. We were told to shine our boots, which we never shined our boots. Only thing was, no one had anything to shine our boots with, but someone did find several cans of black spray paint in supply. So, this is what we used. At least it was flat and not glossy. The Battery Commander was impressed with the results. The rumors was we were going to the Bob Hope Show, but as I pointed out and someone else, why clean our weapons and web gear. Well, everyone was sure it was Bob Hope but instead we landed at Camn Ran Bay airport, to see and hear the President of the United States.

All forces were there, some from the Army, Marines, Navy and Air Force. While several hundred men were in formation, on the tarmac, as the President had landed and about to depart the plane, the Secret Service noticed that EVERY ONE was armed with our M-16's and the Officers with 45's and we always carried at least a basic load of ammo. 7 magazines, each holding 20 rounds each. Before President Johnson would depart the plane, everyone had to go and stack arms and equipment. I guess someone would have taken a shot at him otherwise. Anyway,
there we were, without any weapons and feeling naked without them and listened to the President talking about why we were there, how important a job we were doing, how we were winning and it was only a matter of time before this would be
over. We knew when to clap as he would pause with his speech.

Also, the Secret Service was walking up and down and in and out of the ranks looking for anyone either with a weapon and anyone that could harm the President and when they would go through the ranks they didn't say anything, they just pushed anyone out of their way to get through. Afterwards, everyone thought it was so funny and we told everyone when we got back at base camp. This was Dec. 23, 1967. I thought, the President would be home for Xmas but I would still be here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27a - Dec. '67 - Box 16 of 19.jpg (78.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 28a - Dec. '67 - Box 16 of 19.jpg (82.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by ron_c; 08-12-2020 at 11:14 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: