View Single Post

Old 08-13-2020, 11:13 AM

Liked 206 Times in 117 Posts

Different strokes & all, but some folks rely on the J-frame for more than just bad-breath range self-defense or backup.

And while I practice most all my revolver shooting double-action, a single-action option will be superior to DA for longer range shots requiring more precision. Especially with the J-frames (relative to K, L, & N), given their lockwork. The physics of the action and the human interaction with the mechanical system dictate that. I advocate training on DA extensively and getting your DA technique as good as reasonable, but SA technique also benefits from DA trigger time. And then polishing off with some SA technique allows the user to get the most out of his gear.

If his interviews are to be believed (I think they are), the thing about Ayoob that you must consider is that he totes the J-frame mostly as a backup to a primary service auto. The service auto differs depending on his travel, competition, and training schedule (with the 1911 being his preferred primary carry). If you have a service auto there is less need for your backup to have longer-ranged capability. Same way the availability of a rifle makes handgun choice less important.

Other folks tote a J-frame as their primary by choice or necessity. In that case, being able to shoot a bit farther with more precision is not something to dismiss lightly. Heck, my 638 is often my "woods gun," and loaded with HCWC or HC LWSC. I am not going to deliberately give up range capability that SA fire enables vs targets way out there beyond what most think of as snubby range.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: