View Single Post

Old 08-26-2020, 03:03 PM

Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. I appreciate all the good advice and suggestions that were posted. This is exactly the information I was looking for and I’m grateful you guys would take the time to help.

Jessie - I never gave thought to a trigger being an improvement. That’s something I will think about. I would adjust my optic left a few clicks but my group just before this one was scattered around the center ring (you can barely see them covered in the picture I posted).

I wasn’t at all happy with that target. I think I’m going to try a 2 inch circle on some beige construction paper next time. The black part of this target was not allowing me see my reticle clearly.

Imissedagain - working on the pulse rate. LOL
I haven’t really shot in years and I’m having a lot of fun. Firearms enthusiasts online and at my local range couldn’t be a more friendly and helpful group. It’s a pleasure to be a part of the shooting community.

CB3 - Some great points; thank you. Trying some different ammo never occurred to me. I was using the Speer Gold Dot ammo due to its good performance reputation via the Dr Roberts “Best Choices For Self Defense Ammo” site. I was hoping that using the same ammo might give me consistency but it never occurred to me that my particular rifle might not like that particular brand of ammo. Reading up on NPOA.

NevadaEd, I’m using an Atlas bipod and shouldering the stock normally. Is there something I should be doing differently? I’m trying to shoot from the bench as close to as I would in “the real world”. Left hand holding hand guard (just forward of the magazine well) and right hand on pistol grip.

White cloud - All good advice, thank you. I’ll review that all next time I shoot. The ACOG is finger tightened (factory mount, not the quick release model) and then a quarter turn more with a screwdriver. I’m not sure if I should or where I would locktite?

lrrifleman - I’m using factory Speer Gold Dot 168 grain ammunition. My original intent for this rifle was as a medium to medium-long range battle rifle but this thing weighs a ton - no way I could realistically replace an M4 or AR15 type rifle with this. I enjoy it as a range gun and will keep it to use if the Russians / Chinese / Middle Eastern / peaceful protestor hordes ever invade my state. 😀
Hopefully I could get a few at Respectable range before they get to shotgun range and I’m overwhelmed.
Seriously, I’m not sure what kind of accuracy I should be expecting. With my 4 power ACOG and this rifle should I be hitting the center red spot consistently or should I be happy with shots in the 10 ring? I have no idea what is considered good.

Tomahawk223 / CB3 - Correct, I am shooting factory .308 ammunition.

Sgtsandman - Thank you for those tips. Great advice and I appreciate it. I was an 11B1P 30 years ago (man, kinda wishing I hadn’t done that math just now, LOL) so I’m not completely a newbie but time has eroded my shooting skills. Actually, my last range trip with my old Colt Sporter (carry handle / iron sights) at 50 yards had a group slightly better than the picture I posted above. I was pleased with that given my old eyes / iron sights and years of not shooting. Fort Benning’s Infantry School (AKA: School of Negotiation and Advanced Conflict Resolution) did right by me with regard to basic shooting skills.

Again, the advice and suggestions here are a huge help and I’m greatfull for everyone’s help. Thank you.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: