View Single Post

Old 08-31-2020, 09:50 AM

Liked 752 Times in 316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lively View Post
You chronograph your ammo to know what the velocity is. How do you know what the pressure is?

There is very little risk in making ammo loaded up to SAAMI specs. How often do you hear about guns blowing up due to over-pressure ammo? In the case of +P 38 Specials being shot in guns not designed for it I have heard of stretched frames and expanded cylinders but not the sort of explosions that would have corporate lawyers worried.

Specialty ammo producers like BB and Underwood have little to offer compared to the big manufacturers except unusual bullets, very small volume niche loadings and most importantly higher velocities. I do not think Underwood and BB could stay in business if their ammo was not more powerful than Federal, Speer, Remington, Sig, etc. They have a lot more motivation to load their ammo a llittle over SAAMI specs than other companies have to load theirs a little under. Without independent pressure measurements there is no way to tell. While every gun channel on YouTube has a chronograph none of them has way to accurately measure pressure.

Before the days of affordable chronographs ammo used to be rated as higher velocity. Those of us old enough to remember reading articles in gun magazines in the 80s all remember statements like "I am sure cartridge achieved its rated velocity in a pressure test barrel but in my gun . . ." as an explanation as to why it was falling so short of its rated velocity. The reduced velocity ratings of today's ammo has more to do with widespread independent testing than it does actual reduced loading.

I don't really know if the extra power produced by Buffalo Bore ammo is the result of big companies loading their ammo below spec, BB going over it or a combination of the two. Unless you have a way to measure pressure neither do you.
A security agency I worked a bit at had .38 Spl. only restriction by state law at the time and the owners and firearms instructors were enthusiasts and had several .38 loads tested. After settling on I think 6 loads, they had a lab test the pressures in them to cover the bases. All ammo was SAAMI or less with exception of one and it was rejected. (the load was a contract test submission and never was on the public market)

The BB +P loads were right on the limit, with highest velocity and accurate by advertised velocities by their website.

UA was second by 75-100fps slower but still 1000+fps (4in barrel) (Load no longer offered)

The big 3 were bumping along in the 18,000 (highest) to 16,500 (lowest) One load's velocity for +P was 800fps..

All were 38 Special +P 158 LHP loads.

I cannot give any more info on loads or companies, and this is what I was informed by the guys and I saw it on paper.

As with any +P loads, enough of anything will affect timing, stretching, or even forcing cone wear, but realistically if you shoot that much ole Bezos's fortune is chicken**** money....

Last edited by medic15al; 08-31-2020 at 09:53 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: