View Single Post

Old 09-15-2020, 03:14 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 2,167 Times in 293 Posts

I thought I would follow up on this thread.

First, I emailed some of the companies mentioned here, but got no replies from any of them.

Second, I took the parts to a local plating company. They said they could remove the gold, then the nickel under it. They did remove the gold plating, but the head chemist there said the mixture for removing the nickel was a lot stronger and might etch the steel and they wouldn't do it. No charge, but now I have nickel plated parts.

found a youtube showing a guy using something by Caswell called B-929 so I ordered some. It was a bag of salts that you mix with water and heat then immerse the parts to be de-plated. I mixed it as per the instructions, and used a small crockpot to heat it. After 3-4 hours in the mix, no difference in the nickel plating. So I tried again the next day with a new batch and still no results. No more Caswell products for me.

I guess my next step is to try a DIY reverse current in some muratic acid. I have done this before on 1911 magazines and it works. I just don't like to have to use an acid for anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hammer Trigger A.jpg (92.2 KB, 41 views)
SWCA #3401 SWHF #737