View Single Post

Old 09-20-2020, 06:07 AM
US Veteran

Liked 18,488 Times in 5,065 Posts

SixGunS... and DWalt,

I sure understand your reservations. The sole reason the K-frame Airweight holds interest to me relates to my Chiefs Airweights of the same year.

I find that new era of lightweight carry revolvers fascinating. Pushing boundaries -- the aluminum cylinder that didn't work -- and discovering -- through failure -- solutions.

It seems the "bug" screw -- upper side plate retaining screw -- also evolved to solve a problem. The earliest Airweight Chiefs Special I list shipped in January '53 to a police chief, and that was an "advertising" expense, according to the order. A brilliant marketing/testing plan to put new revolvers in the hands of those who'd use them and report back to S&W.

My "5-screw" round butt Airweight Chiefs Special shipped in July '53. That upper side plate screw, reportedly, had a tendency to back out of the thin aluminum side plate so the solution was the bug screw, as seen on my October '53 shipped square butt Chiefs.

I don't track the K-frame Airweights, but I've read the bug screw didn't come into play on them till '54.

I've evolved into more researcher than collector. That's where I find the appeal in having these "deactivated" or dysfunctional" guns in my hoard. They help tell "the rest of the story" (with accolades, not apologies, to Paul Harvey).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953 Chiefs Airweight (2).jpg (76.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 1953 sb Airweight - R.jpg (141.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 1953 Airweight Bug Screw.jpg (71.6 KB, 25 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post: