View Single Post

Old 09-20-2020, 05:55 PM
US Veteran

Liked 11,998 Times in 2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcelect View Post
If you don't like the auto prime on your Dillon 550 why not just buy a hand priming tool like Lee's, RCBs's, Hornady, or Frankford Arsenal. You are able to "feel" the primer into place(depth)! You will stop handling every primer by hand! I do all my rifle handloading on a single station(Herter's press) and have used the Lee priming tool for years!
jcelect
I gave up priming on the press about 500 rounds into using my Lee turret. I started hand priming, first with an older style Lee until it broke, then an RCBS universal hand priming tool. I tried the newer Lee before I settled on the RCBS and did not like it at all(as seems to be the general consensus with it). I’ve since added the RCBS hand primer that uses the shell holder because the universal doesn’t grip smaller cases like .32H&R and .327FedMag very well. I decap on a Lee single stage with a universal decapping die, then wet tumble before hand priming.
The only thing the manual priming system does on the 550 is fill the spot where the priming tube goes and retains the “spring-back” feel of having the priming tube and block in place. I guess I could have just removed the priming system completely and I didn’t try to do any loading with the tube assembly removed before installing the manual primer, so I don’t know how that would work. I did notice that the shellplate platform just bottoms out with an audible “clunk” if the spring and primer plunger aren’t installed. And the OCD in me doesn’t like an open spot with empty screw holes where something is supposed to be installed. In case anyone else is interested, here is a diagram of the assembly from a newer 550 manual showing the part number you need. You would only need to order the block(p/n 16612) and install your existing primer cup, plunger, spring and set screw and pick up some hardware at Ace to mount it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA477347-F3EF-4B9E-80DF-6ECF0A282E9A.jpg (40.9 KB, 21 views)
SWCA#3597