View Single Post

Old 09-21-2020, 12:31 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,581 Times in 5,847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty5150! View Post
Hey guys just wondering if the bushing at the muzzle of my 4566 tactical can accommodate a compensator?
Handgun compensators do not reduce recoil, they reduce muzzle rise.

If you are talking about an expansion chamber compensator like has been on IPSC guns for the past several decades which are VERY effective at reducing muzzle climb, they do not attach to the bushing. Traditionally, they are screwed onto a extended and threaded barrel

If you are talking about ports or slots like on the Recon, they can either be on an extended barrel, or there have been bushingss made with them.

However I have never seen a S&W style bushing that was manufactured this way. Additionally, this style of porting is not very effective on the 45 ACP cartridge since they require large gas volume to reduce muzzle rise.

To make these work on a 45ACP chambered firearm, I shoot the 45 SUPER cartridge instead of 45 ACP. Mostly I do this in my 625 revolver which makes a superb pin gun

If you have the wrong expectations of what compensators do, you will probably be disappointed when you shoot them.

It is amazing how much misinformation has been repeated on the Internet so many times that people treat it as fact. You need to shoot one yourself and form your own opinion instead of listening to a couple of dozen guys on a Forum or two

You never completed your filling out your Forum information, so we do not know where you are located, but if you are in the Central Florida area, I would be happy to meet up with you at a range so that you can try some of these before you go and modify your own firearm