View Single Post

Old 09-23-2020, 08:45 PM

Liked 2,101 Times in 332 Posts
Default House Guns In Strategic Locations

MODERATOR EDIT:

If you want this thread to remain open, keep the discussion civil. Insults and disparaging remarks are ill advised.
Sincerely,
s&wchad

———————————————————————————

So I live in a split level house with four floors.
Basement is a my game room with a bathroom.
Six steps up leads to ground level with a laundry room and door to garage
Six steps up lead to my living room, kitchen and family room
Six final steps to bathroom and three bedrooms

I shower and get ready in the basement. Since the boys moved out she claimed the upstairs bathroom and I gladly located my stuff for getting ready every day to the basement. No kids or many visitors these days.

I have a safe on the laundry level bolted to the concrete floor where I keep a majority of my firearms.

I have a small pistol safe in the closet that I keep my 36-10 carry gun.

I am one floor away from the big safe but I am slow to get in.
The pistol safe is on the top floor. Way too far away if something happens while in the game room.

So I made some decisions. I put a hidden holster in my downstairs bathroom. I figure with the humidity I placed my k frame 15-4 Nickel 4'' there so I have something handy. I have some nickel cased ammo too. I also have a speed strip with another 6 rounds. I lightly wipe down the guns once every two weeks with oil so not worried about rust.

I then placed the 36-10 j frame on top of a curio cabinet in our living room that has a natural indent - you'd have to be 7' tall to see the top and it is bolted to the wall so can't be tipped over. This puts a handgun on the main floor and easy to retrieve when we leave the house. I also placed an HKS speedloader there which I also carry when I go out.

I replaced the 36 in the bedroom sage with a 15-3 2" I recently purchased. I also have a speed strip and a speedloader.

I have Pachmayr grips on the 15-4 and 15-3 along with a Spring Kit upgrade so my wife is comfortable shooting them with her Lupus and Arthritis. Her hand strength is diminishing but she can now shoot both revolvers without any issue with the lighter triggers and rubber grips.

That puts a handgun within reach on the living area floors.
My wife says I'm getting paranoid in my old age but I'd rather have a way to fight back no matter where I am in the house.

So does anyone else have firearms placed in strategic locations?

Am I nuts for doing this?

Last edited by s&wchad; 09-25-2020 at 01:38 PM.
The Following 27 Users Like Post: