View Single Post

Old 09-24-2020, 03:21 PM

Liked 246 Times in 108 Posts

Skjos: I am assuming all of your work was done via dry blasting correct? Have you ever tried a wet blasting cabinet, or vapor blast, to accomplish any of this? The reason I ask is that I purchased a wet blast cabinet and normally use 325/170 glass bead media and it normally works quite well. Main use is for cleaning up old motorcycle parts, which are normally aluminum.

If I have something in really bad condition I will add some aluminum oxide, but then I have to change out my media back to pure glass beads. I have run into some issues with "hot spots" on large, flat pieces so you have to be careful how you approach them. I didn't see it mentioned, but especially on carburetors after blasting them I rinse as best I can and then put them in my ultra-sonic cleaner to make sure no residue is left on/in the part. You gave great advice to strip all parts down.

I have used baking soda by itself and it really does very little other then super clean the pieces. Running with 70 psi and 325/170 glass beads tends to make parts quite shinny but using a smaller blast nozzle and about 35 psi tones down the shine. With old motorcycles it is all about making the parts look original which can be quite difficult to do.

I am wondering what your thoughts are about wet blasting firearm parts and if you have ever tried this method? Thanks for all your earlier efforts.

Rick H.
The Following User Likes This Post: