View Single Post

Old 09-25-2020, 11:27 AM

Liked 11,701 Times in 3,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith44spl View Post
I no longer keep a rifle mounted over the doorway, as some did in the days gone by.
By experience, I have found I might need it before I reach the door.

Now for a true story from out on the rural route;

A young man and his wife were just finishing breakfast when a
man wheedling a machete broke in their front door.

The home owner grab'd his 9mm pistol from atop the nearby refrigerator
and repelled the attacker, sending him fleeing for his life.

Oh, the home owner, put one round though the ne're-do-well's hat brim and the round exited out the crown...
His second shot grazed the perp's shirt pocket as he turned.

So, as Roseanne Roseannadanna would say...It's Always Something !!!

Well, let me offer a different outcome.

In Deming, a family's adult nephew came to see them. They were just having a nice afternoon football, snack and beer time, but no drunkenness was involved. The nephew brought his new acquisition, a new 32 H&R magnum that he got cheap (it turned out to be stolen in a local burglary), and showed it to his uncle.

Once they admired the purchase, they put it up on a cupboard shelf about 6 feet high. Unbeknownst to them, the 5 year-old cousin saw that; while the adults were watching football, the 5 year-old put a chair up to the cabinet and got the revolver. He climbed down and was apparently playing TV shooter when his 20 month old sister toddled into the room - he pointed the revolver and shot her, striking her upper pelvic girdle through the lower abdomen. She nearly bled out, but the local hospital got her stabilized; they airlifted her to El Paso for surgery that saved her life, but also ensured she would never have children.

This is but one of many, many sad incidents I'd be glad to recount; in my limited experience, nothing good comes of unsecured guns outside a responsible person's immediate control.

Last edited by biku324; 09-25-2020 at 12:10 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: