View Single Post

Old 09-29-2020, 10:52 AM

Liked 982 Times in 308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLineNYPD View Post
I have posted my question which is - Can I shoot +P Ammo in a S&W 640 Centennial that was purchased in 1991? in many forums and got different answers. What I will say is that when I asked S&W that same exact question (3 different times), I was told by all that S&W DOES NOT RECOMMEND using +P Ammo in ANY of their guns produced before 1997. I myself (as another member posted in this same thread) am a retired Police Officer who was given +P Ammo by my department to use in my 640. I sent the gun to S&W a few months ago just to get looked over being that it’s 30 years old, not because I’ve had any issues. The gun is currently still there and I’m being told that the cylinder needs to be replaced because of expanded chambers due to the use of +P Ammo. Whether that’s true or not I don’t know but what I am going to do is use standard pressure for practice and +P for carry.

Have you had any further follow up on this brother?

My 640 No Dash is from '94, and like yours, all it ever shot was +P from the factory and for the same reason. Also like yours, mine seems perfect, and I would have no reason to think it was otherwise.

Smith is saying that one or more chambers are out of spec diameter-wise? That seems very hard to understand with a stainless cylinder, especially when the early 640s were +P+ rated (-I've expressed my theory on that here before) and that the same cylinders in other guns (e.g. the 642) are +P rated.

I'd be interested in hearing BigBoku's thoughts on this as well.

Time to put up the BB signal!