View Single Post

Old 09-29-2020, 07:29 PM

Liked 543 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by transit View Post
Have you had any further follow up on this brother?

My 640 No Dash is from '94, and like yours, all it ever shot was +P from the factory and for the same reason. Also like yours, mine seems perfect, and I would have no reason to think it was otherwise.

Smith is saying that one or more chambers are out of spec diameter-wise? That seems very hard to understand with a stainless cylinder, especially when the early 640s were +P+ rated (-I've expressed my theory on that here before) and that the same cylinders in other guns (e.g. the 642) are +P rated.

I'd be interested in hearing BigBoku's thoughts on this as well.

Time to put up the BB signal!
This would be a first for me, I also have a 90s vintage No Dash that has been fed nothing but +P Duty Ammo and has no discernible wear on the internal or external components of the weapon.

Over my 20 years at Rodmans Neck I have seen plenty of model 36, 60 and Colt DS revolvers that had timing issues which can be attributed to the +P duty ammunition diet (especially the Colt DS). I also have seen more than my share of 640 revolvers which in my experience are the M1A Tanks of the J Frame line. I have personally shot ALOT of +P ammo through my personal 640 and several of the Department owned 640 revolvers that have been in the armory forever. The Department owned revolvers all have unknown +P round counts and I have never seen anything that would require a cylinder replacement directly related to +P ammunition.

Even with the use of duty ammo for off duty qualification the 100 rounds a year over 20 years would only add up to 2000 rounds which is still below the 3000 rounds of +P ammunition factory rating of post 1972 Colt DS revolvers.

Again, I am hard pressed to attribute the cylinder replacement to excessive use of +P ammunition as there are many other parts that would also be in need of replacement a lot faster then the cylinder.

Just my 2 cents worth, Stay safe!

Last edited by BigBoku; 09-29-2020 at 07:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: