View Single Post

Old 10-04-2020, 07:13 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,227 Times in 4,585 Posts

HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! Muss, you crack me up!!!

I have lived in vests of all types for the past 25 or so years. There was a period of time when they were stylish and I liked the look so I bought a few. I didn't hide a gun with them (I was carrying a Beretta 950 BS in my pocket but that was long before the CHL law passed here), I just liked them. Then I started cowboy action shooting in the late 90s and everything I wore came straight from my closet, jeans, boots, appropriate shirt, and a vest. I had a few but then I got really into them and started having them custom made or buying fancy ones in western wear stores. All kinds of bright and blinding colors, all cut western.

Then, a few years went by and the CHL law passed and I started carrying larger guns IWB. Nobody EVER looked at me (except friends who knew me well) and said anything about guns and I never felt self conscious about it. I wore those vests everywhere, Israel, Italy, New York, New Jersey, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, EVERYDAY to work, etc. Not once did I ever feel like I was being checked out by anyone for a gun.

GUN PEOPLE DO THAT. The rest of society doesn't give it a thought.

Moreover, over the course of time, I acquired a number of "outdoors"-type vests, the typical photo journalist or fishing type and, still, on planes, in theaters, restaurants, wherever, not one issue with anyone, not ever.

I think it's the gun community that's paranoid about vests - nobody else cares.

Scully makes leather concealed carry vests and so does Wyoming Traders. I had a number of those types from several makers before my fire in 2018 (lost all my vests) and I have a lot of new vests now that I can and do sometimes use to cover an IWB rig but the Wyoming Trader concealed carry vest I have has great pockets for gun, magazines, etc. You don't have to wear tactical clothing to easily hide firearms.

I don't know about 5-11s but Tru-Spec makes rip stop tactical type pants with excellent pockets for concealing firearms larger even than J frames. Again - nobody pays attention.