View Single Post

Old 10-07-2020, 04:16 PM

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiregrassguy View Post
I don't know anything about them, but have you tried Civic Duty Gunsmithing? They seem to be good enough to build their own parts. But, before you take it to a gunsmith, doing a good cleaning of the action may resolve the issue. That gun is 100 years old and may have a varnish or crud buildup on the SA sear. The best way to clean it is to remove the sideplate so you can get a brass brush in there to scrub it. Just be sure to not mix up the sideplate screws as the lower forward screw MUST go back into its hole. Also, don't pry the sideplate to remove it. Rap the bare grip frame with the wooden or plastic handle of a tool like a hammer and it'll vibrate free. The sideplate is swaged to the frame and fits very tightly.

Pardon my rudeness. Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, mlward!

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then a soak in auto trans fluid for about a week followed by a flush through the hammer and/or trigger openings with aerosol carb/parts/brake cleaner until the effluent runs clear may do it. Just take the grips off before you soak the gun. For extra crud removal, mix the ATF half and half with acetone and put everything is a sealable, chemical resistant container. After flushing, lightly lube the action with a good gun oil...about 5 drops is plenty and a drop on the yoke arm and ejector rod. She'll probably last another hundred years.

Thanks for the reply. I have taken many smiths apart exactly as you describe. I had not even given that a bit of thought, I certainly will work on that with him.

Thanks for the welcome. Have not posted much, but have watched for years as I collect and shoot many of the pre-hillary 600 series smiths. BTW, my default cleaner is 1/3rd of each, Pro-Shot (red), ATF and Kroil. Often a good soak works very well indeed.
The Following User Likes This Post: