View Single Post

Old 10-15-2020, 03:05 PM

Liked 12,803 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenney99 View Post
chiefdave, while the Glock is a very safe design, the most dangerous time is during reholstering. With your thumb break holster, be VERY cautious that the long outside end of the thumb break strap that goes over the back of the slide does not enter the trigger guard while inserting the pistol. I have seen that happen on the firing range. The trigger cannot tell the difference between a finger or a piece of leather that presses on it as the gun is pushed down into the holster pocket.
IIRC, one of the more infamous instances of "Glock leg" happened because the guy was reholstering his Glock in a soft suede holster with a stretched-out, worn thumb break strap, when the strap went in the trigger guard and, well, you know what happened next.

Again, not a knock on the Glock design, but that user 1) didn't pay attention to the condition of his carry gear and 2) didn't pay attention while reholstering.

I was always taught to keep my thumb on the hammer when holstering, and is one of the reasons I prefer hammer-fired DA guns, and is also one of the reasons I like the SCD for Glocks. But none of that alleviates the need to pay attention to what you're doing. It just gives one a little more margin for error.

Just my opinion.