View Single Post

Old 10-19-2020, 04:19 PM

Liked 2,173 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
You raise an interesting point.

I know there is a procedure to apply for a new serial number, although I can’t find anything in the ATF handbook online right now.

But I’m not even sure that BATFE has a “process”, let alone a database, when somebody would ask them for permission to “freshen up” a degraded, but known existing serial by re-stamping the number in the same spot. This may just be a matter of writing to your local field office.

It would be nice to hear from someone with first-hand experience. But such people seem to be thin on the ground.
I agree, the info does seem hard to come by doesn't it. Surely we have a current or ex-BATF agent forum member that could chime up as to the subject, especially with regards to the revolver in the OP and whether or not they would ever consider using the matching assembly numbers on the frame and yoke to prove/disprove a revolver's original s/n.........and whether or not if the assembly number/serial number on the yoke and frame do indeed match if they still feel it in violation to the point of requiring further action from them.

I guess we have to ask ourselves in the eyes of the BATF is it better to have a revolver with so much corrosion that you can no longer read the serial number, or would it be better to replace the serial number once repaired........of course all under the guidance of the BATF.

Or does the BATF simply recommend it's disposal when a frame serial number becomes unreadable due to wear, corrosion, etc.. (Not including nefarious other reasons.)

I sometimes wish I had easy access to a BATF agent that I could ask real-world policy questions. Otherwise I too tend to err on the side of caution.

Last edited by tenntex32; 10-19-2020 at 04:28 PM.