View Single Post

Old 10-19-2020, 07:09 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Having acquired a SW40VE with probably less than two boxes of shells through it, I too wanted to improve this sidearm.

First, a Meprolight True-Dot Tritium sight set and Talon Grips were installed. Two simple and effective upgrades that I'd suggest to anyone with one of these sidearms. But then came the all-important issue of that post glock lawsuit terrible heavy, rough trigger....this one was @11-12 gritty pounds.

So, following an "online source" (I don't want to break any rules so I'm withholding the vendor name) with a video guide y'all are likely aware of; the sear sides and sear ramp were polished with 600 and then 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper in rubbing alcohol. The store was out of 1000 so I went with 2000 figuring it would render smoother results than 1000. I think it did. The flat ramp on the sear was also carefully polished the same way....those chatter/stamping marks in the sear stamping were completely removed, and the ramp integrity (flatness) was retained. All 3 polished sear surfaces truly looked like a mirror or chromed, when done.

The sear break-point was not touched whatsoever, as advised.(if a spare sear for backup can be found, a gentle cleanup of that surface may be attempted in the future). While the sear assembly was in pieces on the bench, the outer sear spring was upgraded to the same online vendor's offering. All sear assembly parts were cleaned, reassembled, and then the sear ramp & housing cam surface was treated with dry graphite powder as directed. A bit of time was spent working that powder into the sear's polycarbonate housing cam surface just by squeezing the trigger with the slide off (and sear assembly reinstalled) repeatedly, and dusting those contact areas with a bit more graphite... excess graphite was shook out on the bench. Both the OEM pigtail & outer sear spring have been saved and put away in the S&W box.

Results? Very good. What it did NOT do is shorten the overall pull of the trigger at all. But the gains are still very noticeable and well worth the effort and the $16 spent (YES I'm A PAYING CUSTOMER hehe) on the replacement spring, and $13 for sandpaper & dry graphite down at a local store.

Results: there is the welcome decrease in pull weight and overall increase of pull smoothness. This was just recently performed, so it's a new 'thing'.

What it did accomplish:
1. Decrease, I'd say, @5 pounds off the pull give or take a wee bit. This isn't scientific, but the best I can offer. Very acceptable.

2. Drastically smoothed-out the pull. And it's still improving the more I work the trigger. What I ended-up with, is a virtual two-stage military type of trigger pull...there is the obvious takeup, and then you get to the second stage where the feel noticeably changes (firms-up) and you're approaching the break point. Once you continue to squeeze through the second stage takeup, there's a moderate amt of rearward movement in that stage moving towards the breakpoint & you continue to follow-through a bit and then "BREAK". What I'm perceiving is that while you know that you're approaching the BOOM zone in the pull; once you get there, it seems the break is still a surprise when it happens as you continue the squeeze.

I'd love to see a safe, dependable solution to decrease the travel and improve it more, but I don't think it's out there. Apex doesn't seem to offer one (anymore?). This little sidearm will likely never be known as having anything but a utility trigger, but I like it for what it is now as the improvement is substantial, and it seems to be improving the more it get cycled.

Hope this helps someone else with the SW40/9VE model sidearm.

Thanks, "Jeff" for your product and the invaluable videos. Gladly will send others your way.

Last edited by FoghornLeghorn; 11-13-2020 at 12:56 AM.