View Single Post

Old 10-20-2020, 12:45 AM

Liked 18,536 Times in 7,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJH1950 View Post
I know I am late to this discussion. There is one thing though that has been said over and over that just doesn't compute.
--------------
"If you remove or lighten any of the springs in the sear assembly you are still left with the heavy striker spring. If you have 2 springs which are mechanically linked (one is 2lbs the other is 10lbs) and remove or lighten the smaller spring you are still left with the weight of the heavier spring."
---------------------

Your theory is all wrong here. If you have a 10lb spring and add a 2lb spring to it it DOES increase the pull.

it would be like saying I have a 12oz cup with only 10oz coffee in it and add 2oz of coffee. I don't have 10oz of coffee I have 12oz of coffee.

So if I drink 2oz of that 12oz of coffe, I am left with 10oz of coffee.

Springs are work in the same way as gravity in my illustration.

So go have some coffee and take a load off.
I know this is a zombie thread, but I wanted to weigh in on this part of the question anyway. Seems to me that it would depend on how the springs are arranged in relation to each other.

If they are stacked end to end then the weaker one will fully compress first with only 2 lbs pressure then you will proceed to compress the stronger one and that will take 10 lbs pressure.

HOWEVER, if they are one-inside-the-other, or being compressed side-by-side (or a comparable arrangement) so that you are compressing both at the same time, then their compression weights add together to require 12 lbs force to compress both at once.

Last edited by BC38; 10-20-2020 at 12:52 AM.