View Single Post

Old 10-20-2020, 09:37 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,095 Times in 1,249 Posts

I had a banking career, mostly as a lending officer for over 40 years. I just gathered up bank zippered deposit bags. A very large bank for which I initially worked had accumulations of competitor banks' zipper bags gathered up over the years available for the asking. As the handgun collection grew more bags were acquired.

Zipper bags come in different sizes, top opening and side opening. Overall they've become smaller over the years. I have some older bags that house 6 1/2-inch N-frame Smith & Wesson and Colt New Service revolvers.

The very old bags which were going out of style in the mid-1970s were made of canvas with brass zippers. Bags made of vinyl became popular. The vinyl bags had either the brass zippers or steel zippers. I did not prefer the steel zippers for they would scratch a handgun's finish. Bank bags have mostly been made of vinyl with plastic zippers for the past two decades.

I do have a single old canvas bank bag, but am reluctant to store blued steel guns in it. It's never rusted a gun, but I now use it to store a .40 Smith & Wesson shield.

Handguns are wiped with RIG before being stowed in the bags then put on shelves in the safe. I've used this method for storage since the 1970s and have several handguns which have been stored in their same ol' bag in this way since the 1970s and always with perfect satisfaction. The bags are thin so more handguns fit on shelves. Pistol rugs are too padded to be satisfactory. The bags keep handguns from scuffing and and chafing each other. Pistols go out for "exercise" in these bags when they are placed in my shooting box.

Many banks will have an accumulation of competitors' bags that they have taken out of circulation free for the asking at the tellers' windows. Or, they will sometimes give or sell one of their own deposit bags if asked.

Bags are available online and sometimes overruns or accumulations may be found on Ebay for cheap.

NetBankStore.com: Zipper Bags