View Single Post

Old 10-22-2020, 02:58 AM

Liked 25,777 Times in 8,710 Posts

Gel testing is in my opinion, a double edged sword!

Since I did not have control of exactly what went into the Gel mixture I can not verify its consistency from block to block. There are different manufacturers, batches and of course it also depends on temperature and humidity when tested. Comparing one man's Gel Block test to another's is almost futile IMHO.

What the Gel WILL DO very well is to compare different loads from the same gun on the same day when all conditions are consistent. Since there are no bones, cartilage, organs etc. inside Gel Blocks all they will really do is compare penetration and expansion of bullets relative to each other at a certain time and temperature. Not saying that is a bad thing since we all like to see consistency of performance in our ammo, but since there are no objects for deflection or power absorption it is not an be all - end all realistic test.

There are only a very few Youtube Guys out there who have gun channels & use Gel Blocks that I respect for consistency of their methods - the rest are basically for entertainment IMO. Tennessee Outdoors and Ammo Quest are two of the best IMO. AFAIK Tenn no longer does testing.
The Following User Likes This Post: