View Single Post

Old 10-22-2020, 07:47 PM

Liked 8,936 Times in 4,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj8591 View Post
Shot placement trumps everything else. Just ask that stalwart of tactics, Joe Biden. But I understand the need for gel tests by the ammo engineers. They need to have something to be able to quantify their bullet designs. I think what happens is that the shooting community tends to fixate on those results to predict how efficiently a bullet will perform in a human when they really only predict how a bullet will act in ballistic gel. There are so many factors in a gunfight that will never be able to be accounted for by any type of static test. That’s why you cannot just say that you should use any particular bullet or caliber based on the gel test alone. And when you factor in all of the politics involved in the decision of what gun and load should be selected by a large agency like the FBI, there is precious little real information that is applicable to individuals. For me, I like to look at the gel tests from the real ballistic engineers, like that Federal guy. Most of the YouTube stuff is narcissists with a video camera and an internet connection and should be dismissed on its face. I stick to the idea that big bullets make big holes and little bullets make little holes and shot placement is the most important factor in a gunfight.
Yes, learn to shoot well. Far, far more important than sterile bullet testing, but it requires a lot of work. Because of that necessary effort, shooting skill always seems to take a very secondary place, if it's even mentioned at all. There is likely a usefulness to gel shooting, though limited and lesser it may be.