View Single Post

Old 10-28-2020, 09:26 AM

Liked 4,677 Times in 1,603 Posts

Revival of a good old thread - and I must've missed it before.
My department's first auto (~1989-90) was the S&W M1076. We had good service from it - it was adopted before the .40 ever came out.
Ammo was the basic, usually Federal 10mm 180 gr JHP LITE.
Results of OIS was generally quite good.

Fast forward about 9-10 years and the 1076 was no longer being made. S&W would make up 'batches' of them up for incoming academies, usually 25-40 at a time, but a premium was being charged. Plus, 10mm ammo was getting much more expensive.

That lead to the next S&W auto - the CS45 for plainclothes/Detectives and the M4566 for uniform.
Over time, I had both.
I started with the CS45 and shot it well, even though it was not really all that comfortable and was sure ugly.

Near the end of my career I returned to uniform and the CS45 looked goofy in uniform gear. Knowing I'd be given my duty weapon at upcoming retirement, I switched to the 4566. These guns ran 100%, and would even feed empty/fired cases.
Duty load for all has been the Speer 230 gr GDHP. It has done very well.

With the ever-increasing load on officer's duty belts, Tasers, OC, etc, the 4566 became labeled 'the boat anchor' by young guys pining for a Glock.

The last few months before I retired, I helped assist in T&E of proposed new duty pistols and after I left, the S&W M&P .45 FS won out.

I was given my 4566, but it mostly lives in the safe, along with the 1076.
I just always find something else to shoot it seems.

Our 4566 had the slide-mounted decocking lever, but it was ONLY that - a decocker. It did not function as a safety, as the previous 1076 only had decockers (frame mounted) - and they didn't wanna confuse anyone.
Thought that was a good move.
SWCA #2275
The Following 4 Users Like Post: