View Single Post

Old 11-01-2020, 07:50 AM

Liked 4,918 Times in 1,706 Posts

VERY nicely done and concise article.....

As to Jet ammo and availability...check with Reed's Ammo...they have both ammo and correct size bullets...

22 JET - Reed's Ammunition & Research, LLC

Have been a Jet owner since about 1974. A friend found one for me after a several year search at Ivanho's Gun Shop in Watertown, Mass. First year of production, had the extra .22 Rimfire cylinder and was in perfect condition....it was my only .22 revolver for about 17 years....needless to say it got shot a lot....and after well over 1000 Jet rounds the forcing cone looked like a funnel and there was a loose spot in the barrel just ahead of the frame...

Lucked into a period correct barrel and had a local factory trained Smith smith install it...no more Jets after that. Then the "unthinkable" was done...the old barrel was rebored to .311" and the Rimfire cylinder rechambered to .327 Federal. The gun can be restored to Jet, but the original numbered to the gun Rimfire cylinder is no more. The gun gets a lot more use now than it has in decades. The last .22 Rimfire cylinder I saw sell on ebay went for $800.00.

Unfortunately most people miss the point of the 53 and why it was brought out in the first place... Like the K-Chuck it emulated, it was for the new sport of HANDGUN HUNTING, not a range toy. Develop a load, sight it in and hunt with it. Shoot it like a .38 or .357 and you'll ruin the gun shortly... And that said ALL 53s should have come with the Rimfire cylinder standard.

A wonderful concept that was misunderstood....

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001_zps0pb82ctj.jpg (116.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 002_zpsfcnc3krd.jpg (117.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 002_zpsjww00hjt.jpg (143.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 005_zpshygjw8ti.jpg (119.8 KB, 74 views)
The Following 10 Users Like Post: