View Single Post

Old 11-10-2020, 12:56 AM
US Veteran

Liked 18,474 Times in 5,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA225 View Post
I have a Victory model, serial # 495388, in .38 spl, that belonged to my grandfather. It is marked Bavaria Municipal Police. He purchased it while stationed in Germany with the USAF from Wiesbaden Rod and Gun Club in 1957 for $19.50. I have the sales receipt and the "Fire Arms Retention Authorization" card authorizing him to bring the revolver back to the United States. I plan to get request a letter on it in the near future but would appreciate any manufacture/ship date info. Thanks in advance.
Great heirloom from your Granddad!

I've attached the serial number specific part of Roy's letter for mine -- a wee bit earlier than yours, perhaps -- to give you an idea of what you'll get.

An Air Force civilian bought mine at the Schwäbisch Hall R&G Club in Bavaria in 1965 -- not far from where it had been in German police service. The back strap reads, "SK . fürth . Mun," which Absalom believes means the stadtkreis (city/county) of Fürth, and "municipal."

I have the R&G Club receipt and all the Army papers that allowed him to bring it to the states, too. I don't recall the price, but I don't think it was as low as yours.

In the area of the frame where yours says, "Bavaria Municipal Police," a German importer/exporter milled that off of mine and replaced it with his company logo: "HEGE SCHW HALL."

The left side proof marks include the standard German "nitro" proof mark, the two-digit year the revolver passed through the proof house, and the stag horn proof mark of the Ulm Proof House.

I think mine led a mighty boring life, no matter whose hands it passed through.

Last edited by two-bit cowboy; 11-10-2020 at 01:06 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: