View Single Post

Old 11-11-2020, 07:59 AM

Liked 28,148 Times in 8,921 Posts

I take a shorter route to the constitutionality of banning LCM's. It has already been done successfully . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster1313 View Post
Although I am a supporter of the 2A, I try to be honest in my assessments. When it comes to Large Capacity Magazines ("LCMs") it is important to realize that there is a big difference betwen banning LCMs and banning handguns. In the Heller case (total handgun ban violated the Constitution), I think the victory for the 2A turned on the fact that 5 Justices agreed that banning handguns prevented some people from exercising their rights under the 2A. On the other hand, banning LCMs does not prevent anyone from owning a semi-auto firearm along with multiple 10 round magazines. It is reasonable to conclude that the difference between allowing and banning LCMs is merely a difference in degree, not a difference in kind. Because banning LCMs does not ban a whole class of ordinary weapons and does not completely extinguish the 2A rights of anyone, it is entirely possible that all 9 of the present Supreme Court Justices are willing to let the People of California decide whether they do or do not want LCMs in their state.