View Single Post

Old 11-11-2020, 04:54 PM

Liked 14,887 Times in 5,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooper333 View Post
did not mean to step on anyone's toes, yes it was a attempt of sarcastic humor. sometimes postings can get so dry and technical the eyes start to glaze over( more humor)
You didn't step on anyone's toes -- I was merely trying to say that I think getting Smith & Wesson involved is futile and I would REALLY suggest that you don't send it to them. Nothing more, nothing less. I believe everyone working there currently is well beyond ignorant on the subject of a 945. That sounds personal, I don't mean for it to be.

Quote:
sevens did you collect any data on how deep the extractor spring hole was, how much shim you added, if gauged what was the pound pull at the extractor? any info would be helpful.
None, none, zero, sorry. It wouldn't run as it came to me and I believe (after the fact) that this is why it was sold. I tried twice and in two slightly different ways to shim the spring and the first one worked for a bit -- but then failed because my choice of shim was a poor choice and it changed shape on me. My second choice for a shim did not/has not changed over time and the gun runs beautifully now.

Sorry that I have no technical anything. Everything that I did was informal and NON-permanent alteration, so that I could start over from square one if I needed. It appears that I don't need to.

How much extractor tension? I have no number and I never did any measure beyond:
"this feels weak"
"this is what it a proper running S&W .45 feels like"
"this change seems better"
"maybe this is TOO much"
"Hey, that feels really good, let's get to the range"

I'm not suggesting that anyone hire me to fix their pistols. But I've had pretty good success on getting mine to run.

I don't tend to break my stuff but I loooooove to shop old and used, so I've gotten quite used to dealing with some problem children.
The Following User Likes This Post: