View Single Post

Old 11-12-2020, 12:01 AM

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

yes this is a good place to seek advise, some may be good, some maybe not as good, but overall you come out ahead. I appreciate the input its all good and helpful.

an example of this is that I was thinking of maybe stretching the original spring. someone said that is not a good idea, shim it if anything. (I am paraphrasing) but that was the intension. then I remembered many years ago I had to adjust the pressure of a high pressure hydraulic system. the way it was done was by using shims under the spring.

so stretching the extractor spring is a dumb idea and I was straightened out here, thank you whoever corrected me.

so with all this input I think I am going to do what fastbolt mentioned. I am going to use the imada force gauges I have come up with a hook similar to what fastbolt shows in his photos. install the original spring on a slip pin in the slide so it can be easily taken in and out and measure the original extractor tension at first movement. then try the same thing with the numrich and midway springs.

then I will have some relateable numbers that I can post here.

so here is where I am screwed up; I don't mean to harp on fastbolt, but going back to what that S&WPC guy told him about moment of mass thing; is the consensus that I should increase extractor tension to prevent fte. or is it not so fast there, it could be the shake rattle and roll is causing the extractor spring to go into resonance thus causing the fte and it might require a weaker spring to correct the issue. I think I am starting to see stars again.

the reason I say this is because the original spring is made of the thickest wire and has the most turns anything else I am guessing will measure less in pull weight. maybe I should get the numbers and we can continue from there.