View Single Post

Old 11-13-2020, 11:01 PM

Liked 2,686 Times in 1,024 Posts

I’ve purchased several Colts in the past year, so I have a bias for them. If you’re looking for a brand new traditional 1911 I’d say the Classic is the best bet. Even better, if you can find one, is the Series 70 Repro that the Classic replaced. Some are still out there. The Series 70 Repro was as close as you could get to an original 1911. The Classic is a hybrid of the Series 70 and the Colt M1991A-1. There are some limited run variants of the Classic for distributors, such as a high polish blue version.

If you want something with upgrades I’d go with the Colt Gunsite Pistol. Mine has proven to be well worth the money. It is dehorned, has Novak sights, serrated front strap, etc. The Wiley Clapp Government Model is also very nice.

There are, even in the current insane market, still some good deals to be found in used Colts. In the past year I picked up a original Series 70 Combat Government and a 1961 Colt Government. Both cost less than a new Classic, which is why I still haven’t picked up a new Classic.

Besides Colts I have had good experiences with the Rock Island 1911’s in .38 Super and .45ACP, the Remington R1, and the Auto Ord 1911.