Thread: My First AR
View Single Post

Old 11-24-2020, 03:42 AM
US Veteran

Liked 601 Times in 362 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastorwasacop View Post
I have owned my first AR (Sport II) for less than a week. I found some youtube videos on disassembly, cleaning and reassembly. I got it apart last night, including the bolt carrier group, and thoroughly cleaned it inside and out. Reassembly went fine until I tried to put the upper and lower back together. The hinge pin holes seem to line up just fine, but the pins will not seat. When I separated the upper and lower again I finally was able to seat the pins through the empty holes, but with twisting and considerable effort. After realigning the upper and lower yet again, I had the same problem. After two hours I still could not press the pins into place and it still remains in two pieces. I put a little pressure on the pins with a rubber sanding block trying to save my sore thumb but without success. The pins will slightly twist but will not seat. Since I am mechanically challenged, I am not good at improvising on equipment that is smarter than I am. With it being brand new and still in warranty, I'm not going to hammer or sand anything. Does anyone have any ideas? I do have a Kel-tec gen1 sub-2000 I have loaded up with Mcarbo parts and have completely disassembled 9-10 times in the last five years, but I have to watch the take-down and reassembly videos every time (told you I was challenged). Except for not being able to pin my carbine back together, the AR is a breeze compared to the sub 2000. If this subject has been addressed before, I apologize. I'm 77 years old and not great on this kind of computer activity. Last night was enough to make a preacher cuss, but don't ask me how I know for I won't tell you.
I had built 7 AR's prior to buying my Ruger AR556. All of the assembly pins on the 7 went in as smooth as butter. But, my AR556 gave me problems right out of the box. I finally used my small rubber mallet to knock them in far enough to then use my thumbs to get them in the rest of the way.
After a few weeks of fighting with them I called Ruger. They told me I must have bought a TIGHT ONE. In other words, the clearances and tolerances were extraordinarily precise and to just keep working them and they would come around eventually. And, Ruger was correct. After about a month they had finally broken in.