View Single Post

Old 11-27-2020, 06:16 PM

Liked 19,932 Times in 8,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM-BAM View Post
Edit: fun thead..... to add to my 2018 post...... the ridge behind the cabin is the Eastern Continental Divide....... everything east of that foundation flows into the Atlantic ..... everything to the west the Mississippi and Gulf.

The Foundation literally sits on the Divide...........

When I was about 10 (early 60s) we bought property in the Allegheny Mountains in Pennsylvania. The father of the farmer we bought the land from told me about 2 old "wagon roads" over the mountain behind our property.

A couple of weekends later I decided to try to locate one of the old roads and follow it to the top of the mountain/ridge behind our camp. When I got to the top, about 3 miles from camp and any road, I found an over grown meadow ; about 2-3 acres of flat ground right on top of the ridge. Decided to explore a little... towards the middle I saw 3-4 pines and what looked like apple trees. As a got close to these trees I got the sudden feeling that I wasn't alone........it got dead still, not even insect sounds......I slowly did a 180 while loading a .22lr in the Stevens Favorite that Dad had given me..........fighting the urge to run.

As I started to ease out of that meadow I almost stepped into a foundation,about 10x12 and 5-6ft deep, about 30 ft away was a small spring house..... as I got further away the feeling of dread/fear of not being alone just faded away.

Didn't go back into that meadow for years........ always felt that someone had died there; died alone and badly

None of the locals I asked(including the farmers father who told me about the "roads" was around 90 years old.... born in the area about 1875 owned the farm we bought part of in 189something) had any knowledge that the foundation was there.....this was pre ATVs and the closest you could get to this spot in a 4 wheel drive was about 2 miles away.......the foundation was flush with the ground and any structure had completely rotted away.....you almost had to step in it before you saw it.........just stacked stone walls.

Years later reading a history of Berlin Pa. I learned that a family had been killed in an Indian raid in the 1750-60s....... not this site but about 3-4 miles away (about a mile from our cabin)...... but the wagon road ran from the top of the ridge (the meadow) and points directly to where this other homestead was said to be located.

Often wondered if this site dates to the same era?

Edit:I've gone back often in the last ......30 years as it's an easy trip on an ATV....... but every time I enter that meadow it feels like a, for want of a better term, a dead zone.

2nd edit: As I wrote this I realized that it's been 50 years since "I" found this meadow.......and in those 50 years that meadow hasn't really changed. It's on top of a mountain... the soil is thin and poor....but it's surrounded by forest..... the spring house is the only water source I know of in a 1/2 mile... "sand springs" about 1/3 of the way down the wagon road to the west........ other water is about a mile away to the south and east.

Probably, reading to much into it but since that day that clearing has always "felt" different to me.
Bump with edit..................................
The Following 2 Users Like Post: