View Single Post

Old 11-30-2020, 12:10 PM

Liked 6,035 Times in 2,973 Posts

I remembered a few more. In 70 I was working as an apprentice plumber in a small shop. We did a job of combination heating & plumbing rebuild in a small rental house South of Grace Idaho, outside Niter. We were there 4 or 5 days, me or me and another worker.The lady, will call her Doris, talked nonstop unless the tools were running. She was older than him and was the type to do absolutely anything he said. The man, David, worked at one of the chemical plants N of Soda Springs, or maybe one of the mines. He was obviously weird, maybe I was too young to recognize evil when I saw it. He asked about guns a few times but went quiet when we started talking about winning trophies shooting on the Search and rescue team.
I forgot all about them until they tried to blow up the Cokeville Wyoming school a few years later. The Cokeville Miracle - Wikipedia.
This refers to both the movie, and a book by the outdoor writer Hart Wixom whio lived in the area. I believe CBS made an earlier TV movie.

I was camping with a bunch of friends once when we hiked into a small glade and started to set up camp. At age 14 I was one of the younger ones but there were 7 or 8 of us. We had a circle of Quaking Aspens and a 50 foot cleared space in the center, an almost perfect spot. We were within a couple of miles of a highway but could hear no traffic. As dusk started it seemed to me that the Quakies were coming in closer. It was odd, eerie and out of place. I didn't say anything as I didn't want to appear a wimp. No more than 5 minutes later the oldest said "This place gives me the creeps. lets get out of here". We broke camp and were gone in 7 or 8 minutes. No idea what had happened there or what might have.

I don't think I am different than most but have felt the feeling to move at certain times and did so. Once or twice nothing happened that I saw. I did have a pigeon egg splatter where I was right after moving out of the shade of a three story hotel wall. I think many people develop what are called street smarts and woods smarts. I hope that they never loose them.