View Single Post

Old 12-04-2020, 11:20 AM

Liked 11,925 Times in 5,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggibson511960 View Post
It's fun to fiddle with 1911's and tune them up. Years ago a fellow mechanical engineer and I enjoyed tricking up our G.I. 1911's on the cheap. He tipped me off to a gadget called a Group Gripper, a spring loaded barrel link that jams the barrel lugs tightly into the slide lug recesses with the gun in battery. We found that this gadget and a collet bushing achieved near the same level of accuracy improvement as tedious fitting. Years later when I got my hands on a Series 70 1911 Gold Cup with an exquisitely good trigger pull, I slapped in the Group Gripper, the poor man's accuracy job, and was thrilled with the results. It's probably not at good or durable as a quality accuracy job by a competent pistolsmith, but for us kitchen table gun surgeons it was was rewarding and cheap. It's still in my Gold Cup.
I've tried the Group Gripper in a couple of 1911's. They do help with providing a more consistent lockup between the barrel's locking lugs and slide, so long as the spring can maintain that tension.