View Single Post

Old 12-09-2020, 07:21 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 267 Times in 29 Posts

I guess I've got a little something to contribute here. The image below shows just about the full extent of my S&W collection and I consider myself lucky to have it.

From the left is a Registered Magnum, 6.5 inch barrel, King Reflector sight with white outline rear blade (22hipower may be interested to know that it is REG. 5388 with serial number 60145 and originally lettered as a non-registered variation even though the letter mentioned that the shipping records listed Reg No 5388. Probably some interesting questions to be explored as to how S&W managed the transition from making Registered Magnums to Non-registered variations?). Middle is a true non-registered variation (ie no REGxxxx on the frame), 4 inch barrel, well used, as it came from one of the orders for the Kansas City police, shipped in 1940. On the right is a "Pre-27", 5 inch barrel.

People with a greater depth of experience than me have answered regarding the technical and visible variations between these handguns. I will just add that you can feel the difference between the long and short actions mentioned above.
I do use the Pre-27 a bit and like the smooth even double action trigger stroke, compared to other modern revolvers I've tried.
The non registered magnum which I also use a bit has a smoother and more manageable double action trigger stroke, and the single action trigger is remarkably crisp and precise, particularly when you consider this has been a police duty handgun for part of its life.
REG 5388, which I've only used sparingly, just makes me think "swiss watch" when I handle it in any way. Bringing the hammer to full cock, opening and closing the cylinder, firing in either double or single action just shows a remarkable attention to assembly, fitting and timing.

Certainly there's enjoyment to be had in collecting the technical and visible variations of these revolvers. But I've got to say there's a lot of enjoyment to be had in experiencing the build quality and workmanship that you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else nowadays. Perhaps it is present in other S&W revolvers of a similar vintage to the Registered magnums. Someone else would have to answer that as I've run out of steam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reg Non and Pre small.jpg (164.6 KB, 226 views)
The Following 22 Users Like Post: