Thread: Not worth $100
View Single Post

Old 12-10-2020, 12:21 AM

Liked 4,913 Times in 1,495 Posts

Obviously you don’t need to request a “Factory Letter” very often.

Sometimes it really pays off just cause it proves that a specific firearm was indeed produced at the factory. Many production numbers are unknown until a factory letter is requested and produced, (9 Recon for instance.) Granted factory numbers are not always precise but that’s what they got to work with. Even Roy, in an email reply to me said that S&W “was not in the business to make collectibles and their record keeping on these guns that we are collecting today are not very accurate.” “ The more modern gun records on items that we think are collectible are just a source of profit for the company.” Unfortunately all true.

One very unusual example that I had lettered was just that. Turned out to be a limited factory run of @ 15. That letter satisfied my curiosity and doubts plus added a bunch more to the value. I got another letter that came with a pistol I acquired and it was amazing. Every back and forth it did from leaving the factory, until the person I got it from was notated. The only other letter I requested proved it did not leave the factory in the configuration it is now. That letter was well received by me even though the news was not great. I appreciate the fact that these records are still around, able to be accessed and then being shared with us.

Jim