View Single Post

Old 12-23-2020, 11:24 AM
US Veteran

Liked 6,953 Times in 2,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveG View Post
I’ve realized I prefer a larger bore revolver with a 3-inch barrel (a model 24 or a model 69 loaded with 44 spl) when I’m walking in rural New England and want to be prepared for critters. With it getting really cold, a belt holster isn’t a viable option (excuse me, Mr. Bear, can you wait a sec while I unzip my jacket so I can draw from holster?). So, it seems to make sense to instead place the wheelgun in my jacket pocket.

I’d prefer to have a pocket holster when I do so to avoid the usual issues. Does anyone know of any large frame revolver pocket holsters out there?
I'd want something much more capable of carrying the weight than a jacket pocket, no matter how heavy the coat. Pocket carry gets uncomfortable because the gun weight also pulls the coat down, you're going to be readjusting it the whole time. Practice pulling up the coat with your weak hand while drawing with the strong hand, just like you practice anything else to get good at it.

Another option is a cross-draw, either from the belt or from a chest or shoulder rig. I use a M3-style chest carry for my N frame when in the woods or out working in the field. It rides higher than a belt carry, more forward than a shoulder carry; all you have to do is unzip, and reach in. Last pic is mirror-image, I'm right handed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01942.jpg (83.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01946.jpg (84.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01941.jpg (52.5 KB, 33 views)