Thread: USNCPC M&P
View Single Post

Old 12-26-2020, 01:56 PM

Liked 83 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLOYD17 View Post
Got a call from my local LGS yesterday with a question on a old S&W. Turned out to be a USNCPC marked Pre-Victory. A guy got that and a 1951 Colt DS from his dad who ran a liquor store in St. Louis and he was looking to consign both and buy something else. I gladly picked up both for his price. The sideplate has likely been replaced as the seam is a bit off and the finish doesn't match. Once I opened it up I realize why it had been changed since there is now the later model safety install. It was also missing the lanyard loop but I had an extra in the parts bin. All numbers match including the stocks. This one shipped in May 1941 (serial 759369).

It goes nicely with LCDR Sovanski's shoulder holster.

Would the safety modification and side plate replacement be something done in the WW2 era while this pistol was still U.S. government property, or something done later by a police department or civilian owner?

Depending on whether it was done by the government or by a police department/private owner, how much does this negatively affect the value compared to an untouched, factory original, gun?