View Single Post

Old 01-09-2021, 05:03 PM

Liked 6,344 Times in 1,648 Posts

When our agency was preparing to start replacing our old Rem 870P's, I made up the priority list for our assigned shotguns. (I had taken it upon myself to do all the periodic cleaning, maintenance and checks of all post shotguns, thus knew which ones were in need of replacement.) The older Rem 870P Wingmaster that was assigned to my patrol car was buttery smooth and was completely reliable. On the shotgun roster that I had made up , I had made a note that I wanted to put my name on "my" shotgun, for purchase, when it came time to turn it in. Unfortunately, I left on a hunting trip and while I was gone the Sergeant that took over the task ignored my note and just shipped "my" shotgun in. I never saw "my" Wingmaster again and I was not a happy Trooper.
The replacement shotguns we received were 870 Expresses and they were extremely tight/rough and I had to sit for hours while watching tv cycling the action on mine to get it loosened up to where it was usable. Unfortunately that turned out to be the least of it's issues as the rifled slug sights were horribly regulated and there was some type of issue in the extended magazine tube that caused rounds to bind up and stick in the mag. tube. I wrote up and sent that 870 Express in to our armorers multiple times and each time they sent it back saying they could not find anything wrong and it had to be my imagination.
Finally during a full post inspection the inspecting Staff Officer removed the shotgun from the rack, attempted to unload the shotgun for inspection and sure enough all the rounds stuck/bound up in the mag. tube. I finally was able to get that 870 Express replaced. (There was a SHORT discussion of writing me up for failing to report the problem, until I produced copies of all my prior repair requests and the return tags.)
The Following 7 Users Like Post: