View Single Post

Old 01-16-2021, 10:03 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

I never tried Pyrodex in pellet form, only powdered, and it has been a long time. I never got reliable ignition in cap and ball rifles that have a 90 degree bend in their flash channel like my T/C Hawken. However, your idea of loose real black under a Pyrodex pellet for better ignition is intriguing. The exterior dimensions of T/C .45, .50 and .54 cal. barrels were the same so you certainly are not going to burst the barrel. 100 grains of FF under a T/C Maxi Ball was my hunting load. 110 grains blew the hammer back to half cock. That's what sets the powder/pressure limit. If it's a worry you could fire a few shots at waist level to see if the hammer stays down.

With round balls the other limiting factor is the 48" twist in your T/C. It's a compromise that allows firing both conicals and round balls. It is hard on cloth patches. I only got good round ball accuracy from my T/C Hawken with reduced loads.

Pyrodex is great in Ruger Old Army revolvers.

Edit to add:
The not good enough for hunting ignition I got with Pyrodex was using normal percussion caps, not modern style shotgun primers. I prefer real black powder so I did not hunt down a nipple for using shotgun primers. The biggest benefit of Pyrodex is you can fire more shots between barrel cleanings and that is more important with revolvers that single shot rifles.

Last edited by k22fan; 01-17-2021 at 05:24 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: