View Single Post

Old 01-20-2021, 11:50 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,400 Times in 2,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
The problem is, marketing folks. They have to generate work for themselves so they are constantly coming with something new to sell. I suppose the designers are generating work for themselves also.

Rosewood
Having spent quite a few years as a "marketing folk" I tend to agree. However, occasionally, working with the engineering/tech folks, they come up with some useful ideas. I grew up on the 243, 30-30 and 30-06. Frankly if you can't get it done with one of those you can't get it done with the new stuff either.

On the other hand I really, really like the 223WSSM and don't know why it didn't catch on. It will shoot Barnes 53 grain TSXs one MOA or better and right through a 200 pound boar putting them down as efficiently as does a 30-06.

I've used the old 6.5X55 for years and love the round. However, having the same ballistics in a short action is helpful too. While I poo-pooed the 6.5 Creedmoor for a long time I bought one a couple years ago and using the Hornady 143 grain ELD-X and a Leupold VX-6 with CDS dial I'm amazed at what can be done out to 600 yards on game. . . and considerably further on paper.

Got to keep those gun companies in business one way or another.

Jeff
SWCA #1457
The Following 6 Users Like Post: