View Single Post

Old 01-29-2021, 03:13 PM

Liked 6,624 Times in 2,202 Posts

FYI, I just spent some time on the phone with S&W. A very helpful CS person spent some time checking through the computer and finally told me that the CS45 recoil spring is listed as Discontinued/No Replacement. Not even any Back Order. Sigh.

BMCM, let us know what you decide on the CS45 recoil spring when you examine the other member's new CS45. The Wilson sourced flat spring has more coils (21) than the CS45 green spring (18), and the CS9 red spring (16), going by the ones I still have left and just checked. Dunno what the rating is on either spring. That 21 coil Wilson spring isn't so long that it causes spring stack in the CS40/45 frame? If not, that might be a neat solution, presuming it's not too heavy for the standard .45ACP (and a normal shooter's grip support).

I remember the days of going too heavy on .45 recoil springs in a couple different models and seeing brass ejected right back at my face. One of the guns was my old KP90DC. The guy at the Ruger plant chuckled and told me that consistently getting brass back in my face indicated I'd gone just a bit too heavy on the recoil spring experimentation. Of course, he said that they'd also bumped up the rating on their P90 recoil springs by that time, and were no longer using the same spring they also used in the P89 (9mm).

BTW, I haven't forgotten about the Colt OM guide rod job (turning down to 0.26) or the new coil springs, to replace the older nested King's set. Just had too many things bumping it down lower on my list.

Last edited by Fastbolt; 01-29-2021 at 03:14 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: