View Single Post

Old 02-08-2021, 08:08 AM

Liked 808 Times in 342 Posts

This just my personal opinion (and nobody needs to justify that new gun they want to buy!): for an all-around OUTDOORS firearm, the best choice was settled years ago - a six(ish)-inch barrelled, adjustable sighted .357 magnum in flavor of your choice. Yes, it can be a bit heavy (but the 10mm Smiths are heavy, too). Yes it's a bit long, but that's where the magnum really gets going, and there was a video and pic posted here recently showing LA law enforcement carrying six-inch Colts in suits. The long sight radius really helps, when precision is necessary. It will most likely be more accurate. Some sort of ammunition is usually available, and for less money. It's good for up to deer-sized game, which is the biggest that most will ever need. I personally think that, in a heavy six-inch version, it's the most powerful handgun that anyone can shoot (assuming comfortable grips). It also serves very well as a defensive weapon (as it has for decades).

If bigger game is on the mission list, I think a .41 or .44 is a better choice.

If personal defense is the main mission, there are a lot of 9mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and .38 Special handguns (and others), out there that will do the job with a lot less fuss, cost, recoil and noise.

I believe the .357 Magnum in target revolver format is the .30-30 of the handgun world. Note that I am not saying it's as powerful, I am saying that it occupies a similar niche for handgun shooters as the old 30 does for rifle shooters.

Now, after all that, I will confess that I find 10mm autos very interesting!

P.S: In a Paul Harrell video a while back, he demonstrated a new gun of his. It was a stock 686+, six inch. He chronographed some Federal 158-grain JSPs and they averaged 1375 fps. That is a plain-vanilla .357 load that has been around for decades and is not very expensive (in normal times!). It also performed well on his famous "meat target".
The Following 4 Users Like Post: