View Single Post

Old 02-15-2021, 07:04 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,890 Times in 2,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Hair Trigger, I totally disagree. If you can remember Police Officers back then weren't making killer wages and a cheaper revolver was very desirable to them and their low wage level.
IMHO.
Steve
I thought that's what I said; the M58 as a less expensive option to the M57 as a duty weapon, just as the M28 is a less expensive option to the M27. And the officer didn't always have to buy his duty weapon, the department issued them many times; another way the M58 was designed as a duty carry, the department could buy more of them for the same money as fewer M57's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braenaru View Post
Might be considered blasphemy, but I wish S&W made a Model 58 in .45 Colt or .45 Auto. As a kid I worked at Mich-Gun and Tackle in Saint Clair Shores, MI, and the owner stocked the .41 and .44 Magnum "Police" lead bullet loads. Detroit Cops often carried an N Frame Chambered in .41 .44 or .45...... I think back in the day the City had a rule, no hollow points, only a solid lead bullet.
Well, they do make the Model 25, comes both as a .45 Auto cartridge or a .45 Colt. It's a tad fancier, more like the Model 27 or Model 57. More options available (adjustable sights and barrel lengths) than the M58 offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer17 View Post
I have an S-prefix San Fransico PD gun made in about 1967-1968 .41 Magnum with Pachs in about 97% condition I'm wanting to sell any idea what they're going for?
Well, the SWSC says ANIB value is $1100, Excellent is $950. I paid in that range for mine. The present Catalog is 4 years old, so you may se prices higher than that. I'd certainly ask more than you expect to get, to give yourself some bargaining room. As popular as they seem to be, I doubt you's scare anybody off if you asked $1100 for yours. Do you have factory stocks, box and paperwork, too?