View Single Post

Old 02-19-2021, 11:36 PM

Liked 7,410 Times in 2,516 Posts

I didn't want to be too hasty, but now that it has been over 72 hours without a word from the TC, I'm confident that this is just another drive-by...

Threads like this are so frustrating because on occasion they become the basis of unsubstantiated rumors which persist for years afterwards.

Case in point, I recently purchased an M&P40 Shield, which I was initially hesitant to purchase due to persistent rumors of M&P40 Shields being prone to catastrophic failure, (i.e. KABOOMs) but fortunately as someone who once held aspirations of a career in the field of investigative journalism, I have a habit of conducting research to verify such things, and long story short, it turned out to be a load of unsubstantiated nonsense which stemmed from a few drive-by threads posted across multiple forums between the years of 2014-2016. All of which were posted by fly-by-night accounts which rarely even had posts counts in the double digits, never provided any proof whatsoever to back up their claims, all appeared to be variations of the same exact story, and didn't even stick with it until the resolution of their dubious reports.
Only one of them seemed even vaguely plausible, and it was the very first of its kind, with actual pics of the damaged Shield, (albeit extremely blurry, low-res pics which made the alleged cracks in the frame difficult to verify) in which the TC blamed the catastrophic failure on overcharged factory loaded ammo rather than the firearm. Still, he didn't bother to see it through until its resolution, although he claimed that he was working with S&W and the ammo manufacturer to get his firearm replaced.

The point is, these threads get posted quite often for who knows what reason, and often play out the same exact way, so nowadays I'm more apt to doubt these sorts of threads. If the TC ever comes back, (which I doubt) then hopefully he'll bring at least something along as proof like a pic of the alleged cracked frame.