View Single Post

Old 02-20-2021, 09:42 AM
US Veteran

Liked 39,494 Times in 10,053 Posts

On the tighter lock up part. Your wanting to tighten up the lateral lockup shows you don't truly understand the function of how the cylinder forcing cone operates. With a 100% positive lock up the cylinder will have 0 movement. Wonderful you think? Only if that lock up occurs with each and everyone of the 6 chambers 100% aligned with the barrel. That is highly unlikely. A small amount of lateral movement is needed so as the bullet goes from the throat to the forcing cone the cylinder can move enough for bullet itself moving into the forcing cone with its base still in the chamber throat to cause that perfect alignment. If the chamber was off just a tiny bit and there was no lateral movement the bullet would have to cock slightly in order to continue. This would destroy its accuracy. So you best send your cylinder off along with you stop so that they can weld up the stop notches so you can make each and every one of them have exactly 100% the same relationship to its chamber so that when you have a precision range rod lock the cylinder in place to the barrel so you can get the perfect fit between cylinder notch, cylinder stop and the frames cut out for the cylinder stop

To achieve what? Can you currently shoot your revolvers as accurately are their capability? Spend some money on a Ransom Rest first. I bet you will be surprised just how accurate your revolver really is with the cylinder stop operating just the way it is. Try this cock the cock the gun in the rest then press the cylinder to one side, release it and fire the gun, now do it again only press the cylinder the other direction. Surprise. A 2'" barreled 38 special is already capable of hitting a pie plate at 100yds. Are you.? You would be better off spending your money on ammo and your time on practice.

Here is the rest I built.

My guns are farr more accurate than my abilities with stock cylinder stops trust me on this

Last edited by steelslaver; 02-23-2021 at 12:47 PM.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: