View Single Post

Old 02-20-2021, 05:45 PM

Liked 54 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeplorabusUnum View Post
Last night I pulled out my 25-2 to clean it and The cylinder wouldn't open. I pushed the cylinder release as far forward as it would go, and was able to get it open with a light whack with a plastic mallet.

I took off the cylinder to make sure the ejection rod was screwed in tight, and it was. Put it back together and the cylinder still won't open. Can't pull the hammer back. I took off the cylinder release knob and it seems stuck. It will move toward the grips, but will not move all the way forward toward the cylinder.

Anything else simple that I should check before heading to a gunsmith? Also, if I need a gunsmith, anyone know of a good one in western Oregon? Any info greatly appreciated.

I recently bought a very lightly used 27-2 do that had the same problem.

I got it open, by tapping on the release, and disassembled it. The parts inside had small drops of moisture on them. I put all the parts in my cleaning pan and covered them with mineral spirits to clean them. The insides of the frame had gummy residue in it that I feel was the original packing grease.

I cleaned all the nooks and crannies with mineral spirits and removed the spirits with brake parts cleaner. After it dried I lubricated it well and reassembled it. It works smoothly and I am looking forward to getting it to the range.

I was amazed at the lack of ring on the cylinder and the barrel had very little residue in it. I'm betting it hadn't had more than a couple of boxes of shells through it.