View Single Post

Old 02-25-2021, 08:15 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,888 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_80 View Post
I am looking for my next revolver, and the topic of this thread crosses over the older revolvers but there isn't a general revolver section so I posted it here. Looking for advice, and an open discussion with opinions on why you feel the way you do...

I bought a 617, K frame .22 a couple weeks ago, and I am realizing I like that size frame a lot, and I would like to get a classic .38 special in a K frame size. I like 4", for not other real reason other than they look symmetric to me. I'm not opposed to a 6" barrel, I just like 4" barrels better.

Couple shops near me have some older .38 specials in stock -

Military and Police .38 revolver, refinished 1926 police trade in, with "property of XYZ police dept" on it (don't know the barrel length)

similar era Military and police .38 special revolver, 6" barrel blued, 4 screw, wood grips

Pre model 15 .38 special, 4 in barrel wood grips

Pre model 20 .38 Special 4 in barrel blued rubber grips

K38, wood grips 6" barrel

All of these options are running between $700-1000 right now, But I wanted pro's and con's to each....

Should I not go with an old police trade in from the 1920's as it could be banged up? Is a model 10 that much better than the original Military and police 38's? should I look for a model 15?

I am not looking for necessarily the most collectible models, I know they all hold resale value pretty well, just looking for a good quality blued old school .38 special revolver that I can shoot whenever I want without worrying about it cracking or having to baby it. I know in general all the older blued Smiths are good quality, but like feedback from other shooters.
Model 19. I know, it's a .357, but you can shoot .38 Spl all day long from it. It is a classic, one of the most popular models S&W ever made, can be collectible, and you'll be able to sell it for more than you paid for it, should you ever want to. I'd look for a dash-3 or dash-4, last of the pinned and recessed versions. You might lay out $1000 for a decent, but not flawless or as-new example, but you wouldn't regret it after you shot it a while.