View Single Post

Old 02-26-2021, 10:57 PM

Liked 594 Times in 251 Posts

I took a lot of your advice- spent time looking at what I really wanted. I decided I wanted something with adjustable sights, older model, most likely pinned barrel, bull barrel, classic blued, wood grips, 4” barrel.

Well, I went to my local shop today, and they had a bunch of nice stuff.

I looked at all the ones listed- the $1000 revolvers were of course very nice... I was trying to stay in the $800 or less range. The K38 that was there was in rough shape, dirty, bluing had lots of scratching, not wel kept, but had a nearly new set of finger groove cheap wood grips, they were nice enough to take your attention off the poor finish- however, I didn’t bite.

The military and police models, one was refinished, looked like it was ceracoated... I didn’t like the skinny barrels on those as much. They had a couple Dan Wesson 6” revolvers, way more than I wanted to pay, a couple colt police positives, not that interesting, and one that wasn’t on their website yet...

Pinned Barrel 15-2. Bluing was showing some signs of being carried in a holster, a fair bit- backstrap where the thumb break would be is pretty worn off in the bluing. Frame bluing and barrel bluing was still remarkable, grips a bit banged up, chipped in a couple places, minor bluing wear on muzzle but good bore. Some Grimey stuff on the butt, screws on the side plate look like they’ve never been off, no visible damage on the forcing cone, suuuper tight lock up, timing fealt good, didn’t look too banged up... and it was $649... so I bought it, and 3 speed loader, and 2 boxes of Winchester flat nose FMJ for around $750 total with tax.

I brought my Harrington and Richardson 930 .22 revolver in to put on consignment, and they gave me a price of $399 to put on it, which I think is high, but it is a nickel plated 9 shot .22 so it might sel for that.
If that sells, I’ll use that towards the 638 I want. Or something else that piques my interest while I’m there.

Well, what you all want I’m sure is pics. I’m happier than a pig in **** right now, can’t wait to pull the grips off and clean it, so how nice I can get that bluing to look. It’s exactly what I wanted. I can imagine a trooper carrying this in the 70’s and 80’s.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: