View Single Post

Old 04-01-2021, 02:54 PM

Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

Excellent point. I honestly can't recall if I considered that or not.

I just looked at the gun again and the 6" barrel.

The 6" may have a very light scuff around it where the crane lip would hit. I can't see any marks on the on the 4" or the crane lip, but it was a long time ago and the gun has been fired and cleaned many times since. Still accurate and butter smooth.

So now I'm wondering. I do recall being concerned about deforming the crane bore on the frame before I removed the barrel and I know I filled the bore for support.

The question I can't recall is whether or not I inserted the actual crane and got lucky both times, removing and installing barrels. There is some clearance between the assembled barrel at the flat and crane lip. Enough to clear? I don't know but it doesn't look like it. Or perhaps I put a rod of the proper diameter in the bore and that old post is wrong.

Anyway it's a good point to keep in mind.

These are great old guns, they're getting somewhat more scarce and valuable and I don't think I'd mess with one now. If I should ever sell it, unlikely, I'd just tell the buyer the history and include the original barrel with advice to have an expert restore it if they so choose.

Last edited by gbw; 04-01-2021 at 02:56 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: