View Single Post

Old 04-03-2021, 06:28 PM

Liked 21,557 Times in 6,960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsguy View Post
Feralmerril, there have been reports of HS being prone to frame cracking at the rear top of the magazine well due to the use of high velocity ammo. It is also recommended to change the spring in the slide every few thousand rounds. I only use standard velocity ammo in my guns and have changed out the springs especially if I buy a used gun. I think it wise to remove the slide and check the frame on any used HS before purchase.
There has been an admonition for decades about only using standard velocity ammunition in High Standards in order to avoid the cracks in the frame that hsguy described. High Standard would routinely replace the frame. I bought a Victor at an auction and I didn't check the frame well enough and it was severely cracked. It took a long time to get the frame replaced. The crack from the back corner of the magazine well can extend into the slide rails, so I make it a point to make both a visual and tactile inspection of any High Standard pistol I look at.

On a more positive note, the pictures of the High Standards that my brother and I have would cover the wall.